To Employer Contacts:
If your company is planning a mass layoff (50 or more), it would assist the Department of Workforce Development (DWD) if you could provide employee specific information. This will assist DWD in processing unemployment insurance (UI) claims more quickly for your impacted staff.
The information requested is: Full Name of Employee, Employee SSN, Last Day Worked, Amount of deductible income paid to claimant upon layoff (vacation, sick, PTO, etc). A spreadsheet is attached to assist but DWD will take the information in another format if easier. You may also access the spreadsheet to report employee layoff information at https://www.in.gov/dwd/4011.htm .
Also note that you will receive many notices from DWD about those employee separations; please respond to those notices that you deem necessary. A DWD claims investigator will contact you directly if they have any questions. Please return the completed spreadsheet to: Employverification@dwd.IN.gov.
Please share with your employees that unemployment insurance must be filed online, using a computer, tablet or smart phone. Online filing information can be found at www.Unemployment.IN.gov. Individuals should review the Frequently Asked Questions, the Claimant Handbook https://www.in.gov/dwd/files/Claimant_Handbook.pdf and/or the online video tutorials on the website page.
In case you have employees who do not have computers at home or smart phones, if you have computers available for your employees to file for UI from your business, please assist as you can. Any assistance you can provide in getting these important benefits to your employees while preventing the spread of this disease is greatly appreciated.
Here is a link to UI resources that include a COVID-19 UI FAQ, and a one pager on UI basic facts https://www.in.gov/dwd/19.htm. Very helpful to employers who are working with employees to file for Unemployment Insurance ((UI) benefits as well as the link for the latest updates and further links to FAQs, videos on the process.
Click on this link to see the full Executive Order from the governor with more details on Essential Businesses. This also provides the Department of Workforce Development with broad authority to cover people out of work due to COVID-19 to ease the resulting pressure that may be put on an employer’s unemployment experience account, and to process claims faster.
To assist with preventing long wait times at the Unemployment Insurance Call Center individuals with questions or requiring additional assistance have been asked to only call or email with questions on the day corresponding with the first letter of their last name listed in this link: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDWD/bulletins/282b567 or see call schedule below.
Contact methods for the Unemployment Insurance Call Center:
- Email at AskUIContactCenter@dwd.IN.gov
- Phone at 1-800-891-6499
Due to extremely high call volume, waits will be longer than usual. DWD is requesting that individuals only reach out with questions on the day corresponding with the first letter of their last name to assist with wait times. Here is the schedule:
- Monday: A-E
- Tuesday: F-I
- Wednesday: J-M
- Thursday: N-T
- Friday: U-Z
- Friday: If You Missed Your Day
DWD is currently working on a telephone application to assist those who do not have access to a computer or smart phone with filing for unemployment benefits.
- Employers and individuals can both find guidelines on how to navigate unemployment here.
- Indiana Career Connect to post and search for jobs at www.indianacareerconnect.com
- Support for job seekers includes the Indiana Career Ready website.
- WorkOne: Central Indiana Region 5 WorkOne locations are currently closed to the public, however WorkOne staff are accessible to customer by phone or email to assist job seekers with services related to career exploration and job search. WorkOne staff will not be able to respond to questions on unemployment compensation.
- Boone County – WorkOne Lebanon 765-482-0160
- Hamilton County – WorkOne Noblesville 317-841-8194
- Hancock County – WorkOne Greenfield 317-462-7711
- Hendricks/Morgan Counties – WorkOne Plainfield 317-838-9335
- Johnson County – WorkOne Franklin 317-736-5531
- Madison County – WorkOne Anderson 765-642-4981
- Shelby County – WorkOne Shelbyville 317-392-3251
Thank you for your patience as we strive to continue providing employment and training services, while seeking to also maintain the health and safety of our WorkOne customers and staff.
WorkOne Business Representative for Hendricks, Johnson and Morgan Counties
Plainfield Office Phone 317-838-9335 Ext 217